Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Color has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/templates/rt_ximenia/features/color.php on line 11
Seminole County History | Historic Chattahoochee Trace | Alabama Historic Areas | Georgia Historic Areas
Follow Us On Facebook

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentJw_allvideos has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/jw_allvideos/jw_allvideos.php on line 18

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentembed_google_map has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/embed_google_map/embed_google_map.php on line 21

Seminole County, Georgia

CITY OF DONALSONVILLE

CITY OF DONALSONVILLE

Location: City Park adjacent to the Lions Hall on Wiley Avenue, Donalsonville, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: October 5, 1980
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the City of Donalsonville, 1980.

City of Donalsonville
According to a map "Plan of Donalsonville" dated April 1889, the town was laid out by John Earnest Donalson. On December 8, 1897, a charter, signed by Governor William Yates Atkinson, was granted incorporating the Town of Donalsonville. Officers appointed were: Thomas Chason, Mayor; John E. Donalson, W. B. King, S. D. Cherry, R. D. Carr, Aldermen. This charter was amended August 12, 1922, and the name changed to City of Donalsonville.

SABACOLA EL MENOR

SABACOLA EL MENOR

Location: Off Georgia Highway 39, in Seminole State Park, sixteen miles south of Donalsonville, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: April 11, 1981
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Seminole County Commission, 1980.

SIDE 1:
Sabacola El Menor
Located in Seminole County, near the forks of he Chattahoochee and Flint Rivers, was a town of Hitchiti-speaking, Lower Creek Indians. A Spanish mission, Santa Cruz de Sabacola el Menor, was established there in 1675. By 1685, English traders from Charles Town had contact with the Lower Creeks. The English in Carolina and the Spanish in Florida were both seeking the alliance of the tribe.

SIDE 2:
Sabacola El Menor
Spanish efforts to establish missions further up the Chattahoochee were unsuccessful and the Christianized portion of the Indians moved south to Sabacola. In 1717, the pro-Spanish Indian leader Cherokeeleche (Cherokee-killer) built a stockade on the site. The town was abandoned after a raid by pro-English Indians in 1724. The site of Sabacola is now under the waters of Lake Seminole.

SITE OF U.S. POST OFFICE REYNOLDSVILLE, GEORGIA/REUBEN ARTHUR REYNOLDS

SITE OF U.S. POST OFFICE REYNOLDSVILLE, GEORGIA/REUBEN ARTHUR REYNOLDS

Location: Intersection of GA Highway 253 & County Road 12, Reynoldsville, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 1991
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the descendants of R. A. Reynolds, 1991.

SIDE 1:
Site of U.S. Post Office Reynoldsville, Georgia
On this site was situated the Reynoldsville Post Office from April 5, 1898 to April 20, 1913. The community was named by the Post Office Department in honor of Reuben Arthur Reynolds who served as its first postmaster. He was a pioneer environmentalist who practiced forestry managment and soil conservation on his vast land holdings of several thousand acres. Reynolds erected the post office building directly across the road in front of his home. After the Reynoldsville Post Office was discontinued, the building was used as a jail before it was razed about 1945.

SIDE 2:
Reuben Arthur Reynolds
This prominent agriculturist was born in Clinton, North Carolina on November 4, 1848. In 1850 he moved with his family to Decatur County, Georgia. At the age of 15 he enlisted in the Confederate Army and served as a private in Company I, Third Regiment Infantry, Georgia Reserves. Reynolds was married four times and fathered twelve children whom he taught to be frugal and faithful stewards of the land. He was an active and faithful member of Bethany Baptist Church. Reynolds died on September 21, 1922 and is interred in the Bethany Cemetery.